The I.S.A, Italians in Sussex Association and its Facebook group, Italians in Brighton, are non-profit organisations based in Sussex.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The principal objectives of the association shall be:
a) To promote cultural and economic relations between our region and Italy
b) To assist members of the Italian community by providing help and advise on matters such as education, employment, immigration, housing, pensions and welfare rights
c) To assist British subjects who wish to settle or spend a working holiday in Italy by providing practical help and information about education, employment opportunities and welfare rights in Italy and other services
d) To encourage interest in Italian language and culture
e) To encourage exchange of experience and information about the European Union
To achieve these aims objectives our organisation will:
f) Issue a monthly magazine written in Italian and English with useful information on matters such as travel destinations, the Italian community, and Europe.
g) Liaise with other Italian Community Centres in the UK, the Italian Consulate, other ethnic minority groups in order to set up a drop-in centre for the Italian community in Sussex and its friends
h) Organise cultural and recreational activities such as meetings and social events
i) Set up courses for learners of Italian, members of the Italian Community and their children (Doposcuola); and courses of English as a Foreign language
j) Create a website on the Internet and contribute to the establishment of a community network in Sussex
k) Train members in the development of media, journalistic, translating & interpreting skills with a view to offering employment opportunities and achievement
l) Producing bi-lingual publications
ARTICLES IN ENGLISH
THE ITALIANS IN SUSSEX ASSOCIATION
The Italians in Sussex Association, a not-for profit organisation based in Lewes, are working on the publication of a magazine (please feel free to browse a PDF copy of our magazine on our website http://www.britalians.co.uk/britalians-magazine.html), 2000 copies to be distributed free in Brighton, London and in the South-East, written in Italian and in English, aimed at Friends of Italy and Italians alike.
Britalians! is the first web magazine published by the Italian community in Brighton and in the South-East.
It is aimed at people who have an interest in Italy, Italian language, lifestyle and culture, Italians living in or visiting the UK and students of Italian; as well as the local community as a whole.
It aims to consolidate friendship between Italy and Britain by promoting cultural relations, tourism and business.
It covers issues such as:
Italian culture and lifestyle, including food; Italian restaurants in Brighton and in London; Italian products; business opportunities; Italian language, education and art; and the local Italian community, as well as interesting travel destinations in Italy and in our area.
Furthermore, it will cover general facts and stories which would appeal to the community as a whole, making it an interesting read for all!
We therefore welcome any articles or stories, either in Italian or in English, that you may wish to send to us for publication.
If your business has links with Italy please consider sponsoring our publication. It would be of great benefit to your business, the Italians in Brighton and its many English friends.
By doing so, you would not only expand your business but also benefit local Italians and the community as a whole.
Alternatively, please consider sponsoring or donating to the Italians in Sussex Association, a not-for- profit community group based in Lewes
Since its establishment (1997), the Italians in Sussex Association has:
1. Organized several informative meetings on the Italian community and its cultural heritage
2. Published three magazines (The Italian; Il Punto; The Italian Messenger)
3. Ran a film club (in 2002)
4. Organised language and conversation classes for both Italians and British
5. Organised trips and excursion around Sussex (the last one was at Rottingdean)
6. Contributed to the well-being and the progress of Italians Abroad by promoting political awareness (the right to vote for elected representatives in the Italian Parliament of Italians in the world), and welfare rights.
7. It has given birth to the Anglo-Italian Publishing Society, a not-for-profit organisation which aims to produce publications in English and Italian on the history of Italian migrants in our area
8. Offered work and study information to young Italians, as well as training opportunities through the Voluntary Service of the EU
9.Helped young Italians recover their deposit from landlords and arrears payments from employers; also supported them claiming for unfair dismissal and breach of NMW
10. Created a Facebook Group (Italians in Brighton – Italiani a Brighton, nel Sussex e nel Regno Unito http://www.facebook.com/groups/8156530043/; and the following websites: www.britalians.co,uk; The AIPS http://anglo-italian-publishing-society.weebly.com/; Albatross – Lavorare a Brighton (www.lavorareabrighton.weebly.com) for Italian workers seeking help and support in finding employment, accomodation and study opportunities in our region; as well as its own ISA (www.italianidelsussex.weebly.com)
11. Finally, it has given a boost to the local economy by organising regular events and parties at Italian venues and restaurants in our area.
We invite anyone who loves Italy and Italian culture to join us in this exciting project for Brighton and the South East, the first of its kind.
If you love Italy and wish to support the Italian Community in Brighton, Sussex and the UK, please support BRITALIANS and the Italians in Sussex Association and all Friends of Italy!
Should you wish to discuss further and in person any possible form of cooperation, please fill the form below.
The Editorial Team